10 June 2011

Photography Friday (7)

MAYBE IT WAS OUR VENTURE onto the island of Mykonos that led me to tack on a few visual escapades from a couple of other Greek isles next: Santorini and Rhodes. My usual intent is to mix it up a little more than this, say, from a paradaisical island to the horrors of Buchenwald. Perhaps subconsciously (and now quite consciously) I don't want to go anywhere near that stuff today.

We'll start with Rhodes, as I only have two from our stop there. There's a remarkable acropolis atop the ancient city of Lindos that has a killer vista of the coastline and the sea beyond (facing east). From there I offer five more photos from the eye-candy isle of Santorini (notably revealing my obsession with doors and facades).

One of the more memorable bits of tid about Santorini was the fact that water is a precious commodity on the island, and so they conserve it religiously. A glass of Vin Santo is often poured in its stead. I suppose it could be worse. As is typical, all of these photos were taken on a Canon AE-1 with E100VS (slide film). Click on an image to get a closer look.


A side shot of the Doric temple of Athena (the entrance is around the corner to the right),
the dominating feature of the acropolis in Lindos, which was completed in 300 BC.

With my back to the temple, I snapped this shot of the horseshoed Lindos Beach,
aka St. Paul's Bay. I think only the tour guides call it this, because there's no evidence
that the apostle stopped here on his way to Patara in 51 AD (see Acts 21:1). Given that the
city of Rhodes was a hopping place in those days, it seems more likely that
the travelers would've stopped there.

To my immediate left and down the rock face exists a cave where The Guns of Navarone was filmed.

A cool brick facade and door in Santorini's principal city, Fira.

The red pops against the white wall and the blue Aegean, doesn't it? I think on
the other side of this door were stairs leading to a house's entrance.

One of the many (understatement) chapels that dot the island, though this one
was bigger and stood alone (most are attached to houses).

There's something about this palette of colors . . .

Here's a view of a part of Fira across a collapsed volcanic caldera (Santorini is
essentially what remains of an enormous volcanic explosion that tore apart a
single island around 3,600 years ago), with a cool tilt-shift effect
added by me in Photoshop.


0 comments:

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha